Are you interested in a career in the sciences but are unsure what that might look like, or if it’s the path for you? Would you like to be paid to spend your summer doing genuine science, being mentored by professional scientists, and exploring sciences from biology to chemistry to the earth sciences? If so, a summer research experience for undergraduates (REU) program might be just right for you!
You may have noticed that we have been posting a lot of summer REU and internship opportunities lately. This is because opportunities for summer 2017 are being announced now, and application deadlines are typically in February.
Why participate in a summer research experience program?
- Research experiences are known to increase interest in STEM careers
- Research, mentoring, and attending conferences allows students to feel like a scientist
- Students report an increase in self-confidence, a better of understanding of the science and a gain in technical skills
- Expand your network of supporters, colleagues, and friends
- Students are better prepared for 4-Year college, graduate school and the workforce
To help you get prepared, we are hosting a mini-workshop about Applying for REUs on Friday January 20, 2017. This webinar will be led by one of our PROGRESS team members, Dr. Melissa Burt, who is the director of an REU program at CSU. In this webinar we will discuss the types of research opportunities available to you, what you can expect during your summer research experience, and how to put together a strong and convincing application package. We’ll share information about a range of different programs across the country and have time to answer your questions. We are hosting the same informational session at different two times on Jan 20th so that everyone will have an opportunity to participate. Please join us for the 12 – 1 pm or the 3 – 4 pm session (all are Mountain Time). All PROGRESS participants are invited.
Deadlines are approaching for many REU programs so this is the perfect time to learn about what opportunities are available to you.
Here’s how to join the Webinar:
1) Join us remotely from your computer, tablet or smartphone via GotoWebinar. Just click this link to register.
All PROGRESSers are welcome to login remotely to participate. There is no limit for remote participants, so please join us! We welcome you to login individually or in groups from your campus such as from a classroom, your dorm room, or an on-campus common area…anywhere with internet! Contact Ilana for assistance with registration and remote logins.
2) Join us in person in Rm 312 at the Lory Student Center on CSU main campus in Fort Collins, CO.
Local (CSU) students are encouraged to join us in person in Rm. 312 at the Lory Student Center on CSU main campus. In-person participants can bring a copy of their resume to share and discuss. Participants are encouraged to bring a bag lunch or snack to enjoy during the 1-hour session. We will provide beverages and dessert!
Please RSVP to Ilana by Wednesday, January 18, 2017 if you plan to attend in person so I know how many treats to bring. 🙂